Thursday, May 17, 2012

Going Green

It's no secret:  our new house is a bit bigger than we're used to.  As in, the main floor square footage here is more than the square footage of the entire house in Colorado.  Not to mention the lot size, which is 25 times as big, which is why you see a lot of pictures of flowers and poison ivy.  Ha.

Anyway, I've got a lot of house to decorate.  Recently I've been drooling over superbly designed interiors of homes (nothing new) and have been actually noticing houseplants.  I never really was a houseplant kind of girl.  Until now. 

Let's start with my first plant that I received as a gift for my first Mother's Day, 3 years ago.  It's a Money Tree, and despite my novice skills, he has survived some neglect and a move.  I finally, just today, gave him a new planter (I think it's time for a bigger one!) with some new soil.  And no, he doesn't make money just appear, but I do hope he gives me another 3 years.


Okay, now this thing is a Sansiviera.  Also known as Snake Plant.  It is one of the best air purifiers for homes.  I love it.  A lot.  Apparently, you couldn't kill it if you tried.  That's my kind of plant. 


This is a Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium antiquum victoria).  I don't have a pot or home for him yet.  He's a little droopy now from too much sunlight, but he's doing much better now hanging out in the humid bathroom.  I love the frilly leaves.  I think this will be my most finicky plant. 


Finally, these are Jade (of the succulent variety), received in an arrangement for a housewarming gift.  They have done very well, almost doubling in height and growing one new sprout in the last 3.5 months, although I'm not sure what the guy on the right is doing leaning way out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment