(Marin can ride the tricycle now. She picked it up fast once Lainey perfected it earlier this year.)
While our house is generally landscaped well, some things can just be done better. Take this front bed. It had two things in it, vinca vine and daylillies. Well, the vines choked out the daylillies, and we saw maybe 5 blooms total from 6 plants. I wanted a nice hedge here, something formal but something that also flowers for color. I'm not a fan of roses, but I researched Knock Outs, and you just can't go wrong with them. They are very hard to kill - my kind of plant - and can even bloom into November!
This back/side bed was full of nasty overgrown bushes. It's hot and dry and covered in sun all day long out there. I whacked them out so I can put in some Russian Sage, which thrives on hot and dry (and neglect, because they are basically weeds). I also trimmed up and thinned out some iris over there as well (maybe we will get more than 5 blooms next spring?) and removed about 20 years of leaves that had accumulated. Anybody need any iris rhizomes?
If I've learned anything about landscaping a big yard, it's choose your battles wisely. Plant stuff that does well without you having to take care of it in areas you don't hang out. Plant stuff that requires more attention in areas you are frequently passing by. For us this is a battle of the "garage side" versus "the other side of the house."
Lainey has loved posing for the camera lately. And then she wants to see the picture after it's taken.
Finally paying attention to plants that need a little trimming pays off when you get to cut the blooms and bring them inside! And watch a hummingbird feed right there while you cut away.
We've been busy with lots of trips to the library.
We had a "Family Movie Night" (with popcorn!) a couple of weeks ago to watch The Lorax, Lainey's favorite book (and now her favorite movie). She has the book about 50% memorized and loves to "read" it aloud to us at night before bed.









No comments:
Post a Comment