We had parent-teacher conferences for Linnea, as she likes to be called at school. She is exactly where we knew she was - a little ahead. We asked about the use of the literacy coach they used for the emerging readers in years' past, but were basically told, We're not sure since we are in a different building now, and there aren't all that many kids who are reading. It's a delicate balance between pushing her and risking her being bored with the idea of school in future years, and just letting her be normal. At home, the only books I check out from the library for her are learn to read books, which she enjoys reading to us when she feels like it (usually when it's way past bedtime, of course). I think that's a good balance. Between that, her giant kindergarten curriculum workbook, and asking us how to spell things, I think she will get through the rigorous throes of today's kindergarten just fine.
I taught Marin how to write her name in two days a few weeks ago. She has been especially into drawing lately (Little Mermaid characters, of course). We have been working a little on sight words in prep for reading. Most recently, since she visited Lainey's classroom at conferences, she has been wanting to go to preschool and just doesn't understand when I tell her that she isn't enrolled and we haven't paid, so we can't just go take her.
It has been a pretty frustrating time in life with the girls in general. Their personalities, moods, likes and dislikes change so fast, it's hard to keep up. And whoever started the terrible twos (mis)conception, clearly doesn't remember the 3 - 4.5 year old stage. It's one of those seasons for me of wishing they could "veg" out with a tv show/movie/video for more than 10 minutes, or that Marin was actually in preschool as well, or that I had a job doing something else I love, but I know deep down that where they are is the way that's best for them and their future.
I'm not even going to think about what adding a third child (in 7 weeks?!) to this is going to do. But I have high hopes it will make the girls slow down and soften up a bit. Maybe? Please?
This too shall pass.














No comments:
Post a Comment