Thursday, March 17, 2011

Musical

So Lainey's pretty musical.
She's got rhythm, and she can sing.
And she plays the air guitar and air plucks the violin.
She learns words and pitches to choruses of songs in a very short time.

And we're talking normal songs here.
Not kids' songs.
She's learned all the kid songs there are to know, even the super old this is the way we wash our clothes, wash our clothes, wash our clothes ... so early Sunday morning.

We think she's pretty sharp at learning music for 2 reasons:

1. I sing constantly throughout the day. It's a bad habit, actually, because I'll accidentally sing a line from something I don't want her to be watching, like a Sesame Street segment, and, just like that, she wants to watch it again. Oops. It cannot be helped. I break out in song many times a day. My grandma can be thanked for that. Lucky for you (not you, Jenni), I don't sing in public anymore. My choir days are over.

2. She's been listening to REAL music since she was a tiny baby. REAL people with REAL voices singing REAL, meaningful songs. This has been great for exposing her to a variety of musical styles. Kid songs use a lot of the same melodies and are pretty b.o.r.i.n.g when it comes to being creative with your voice.

Uh, anyway, I thought we should finally document some of these things.
Easier said than done, however, now that she is getting older and weary of cameras and the fact that she knows that something extra is watching her.

This video is of her not-singing (but she can) Thompson Square's "Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not?" In her case, "or not" is equal to "all night." And also, she is saying Marin at the end of each phrase. Psychologically, she's using Marin for support because she knows I'm taping her. She's shy like that. And needs her sister for support. (There is a short segment Jason secretly got of her singing the song very quietly on YouTube.)



--------

Marin walks about 90% of the time now.
Except on our lumpy grass, where she can only take 2 steps without falling.



--------

And now, it's party/family time!


No comments:

Post a Comment